Sunday, April 26, 2009

Life

So, it's Sunday. It's turned out to be a day of rest...sorta.

I went to church with Dad, got my cardio in & picked up groceries. I needed veggies along with a few other things...like a chicken for dinner. I have to give credit to Walmart (much as it hurts) for carrying better produce & organic options. I'm not one to buy all organic but I prefer organic meats when I can get them. I found my local Walmart now carries 100% vegetarian fed chickens. To me, fresh meats that are organic or from the wild (like venison) have such a fresher flavor. It's almost "clean" if that makes any sense.

What's for dinner you ask? Roasted chicken with roasted veggies. I was watching Barefoot Contessa yesterday & she stuffed a whole roaster with lemons (chunked) & a head of garlic (cut in half.) She also added to the bottom of the pan some carrots, potatoes & onions. It sounded sooooo good! So that's what we are having! I used to roast whole chickens about once a week. It's a fast & easy way to get some cooking done in a jiffy. I dont think I've ever made one for Kevin so I hope he likes it!

Church was good today & talked about being more prayerful in our lives. It indicates dependence on God rather than trying to live the lives we want vs. the lives that He wants us to have. It's been a bit of a reflective week dealing with the stress of the unmentioned situation & also after reading a daily reflection sent to me by a friend.

That reflection continued when I saw a very sad post by Jenna at Eat Live Run, a blog that I read daily. Her brother died after a tragic accident & it took me back to the tragedy that took my own brother's life when I was 10 years old. Then, of course, to the days that I spent with Mom before she died. The wounds sometimes are so fresh but it's in those moments that we are reminded how precious life is. It's often cut short without much explanation but it certainly reminds us that we should live each day to the fullest, taking care of the bodies that we've been giving & reminding those close to us how much they mean to you because sometimes tomorrow isnt going to come.

I hope that you don't take that as a morbid thought but rather one that you'll take away from the blog with a renewed sense of life. The day is ours for the taking. Make it what you will & enjoy every second.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to add, I loathe Wal-Mart!!! No two of them carry the same item and for some reason, I really, really just don't like Wal-Mart. I would much rather shop at Target. One of these days, we might get a Trader Joe's that you always speak of (at least for grocery shopping)

Toni

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you & am not a huge fan of Walmart but our choices for groceries are limited to there or a couple other more expensive stores. And I'll ONLY go to the Valpo store. The other local ones are sketchy. No Super Target in our area so that limits us. But Trader Joe's is soooo worth the trip (about 40 min drive) when I need to stock up!